Friday, June 3, 2011

Hallelujah...It is finally summer!

I am so happy it is summer! I was starting to think that it wasn't going to come around again. Don't get me wrong.....I also love winter! I love knee high boots, sweaters, and coats. I love the way the snow glistens on the roads. I love to sit by a fire and drink hot chocolate with a wide range of *additives*.....of which my new favorite from this year is buttershots. OMGoodness...yum! But, nothing will replace the time of year when you can put on a cute sundress and sit on a patio with a glass of Pinot Grigio and a friend or 5 and eat!

I tend to only want to eat cold foods or fish in the summer. One of my favorite ingredients is a tomato! Be it a roma or an heirloom....I love a tomato. I am my father's daughter! So here is one of my new favorite recipes that I highly recommend. I even got to use some of my herbs that I am growing! Check it out......

Summer Shrimp and Tomato Salad

2 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 pound cooked shrimp ( peeled, deveined, etc.....in a pinch get some cocktail shrimp it is all ready, just pinch off the tail)
2 1/2 pounds of roma tomatoes cut into 1 in cubes
1 English cucumber (seedless) cute into 1 in cubes
1 small red onion diced ( if you are not much into onions you could use shallots, probably 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup crumbled feta

Put shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, parsley into a big storage bowl. In a seperate dish,
whisk together oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour over the veggie/shrimp mix. Sprinkle with feta. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. The vinegar helps to "cook" the red onion and make it softer and not so strong. Depending on how much liquid is in your tomatoes and cucumber....you might want to double the oil/vinegar mix. I would play it by ear and wait until after it has chilled a while. Perfect for a fast summer dinner! Healthy fat from the olive oil and low carb! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment